1.11.2012

you won massaaaaa?

finding a place for a thai massage in thailand is pretty much like trying to find sand on a beach. they're absolutely everywhere you look.  even if you can't see a building with a massage parlor sign, there are women literally screaming in the street for anyone who wants a massage - "you won massaaaaaaaa? thai massaaaaaaaaaaaaa?"

as i understood it, thai massages are pretty incredible and if i was going to have my first thai massage in thailand, i didn't want to mess around with any riff raff rubbing my back.  i went straight to lonely planet and looked up a place that was nice, "reasonably priced," and right around the corner from my hotel. getting lost all over bangkok the day before actually gave me a good foundation of how the streets worked, so i was able to find the spa just by looking at the address. ok, maybe i got lost and asked someone at another hotel's front desk, but when i finally got there i was pleasantly surprised.

coran spa

the pictures don't really do it justice, but suffice to say walking up made me pretty nervous about what exactly "reasonably priced" meant to lonely planet.  i walked in anyway and was served a glass of a delicious cold ginger flavored tea/drink/some kind of liquid, and took a look at the menu deciding that i would treat myself no matter what the cost.  turns out i didn't have to - a 90 minute thai massage was a mere 550 baht (about $22 NZD).

i was whisked away immediately to my private room where a tiny thai woman washed my feet and told me to get dressed in what looked like scrubs for a contestant on oxygen's "dance your ass off."  then i laid down preparing for total relaxation for a full hour and a half.

no one told me that thai massage = a small woman basically beating the crap out of you for however long you want.  i was pulled, prodded, punched, and i may have even been kicked a few times (they use both arms and legs during a massage). at one point, she had me lay on my stomach, then stood on the backs of my calfs and yanked my arms until my whole upper body lifted off the mat from the waist up and bent completely backwards.  it was basically the most intense yoga/boxing session i've ever experienced.

i won't pretend like afterwards it didn't feel good, but i was sore for a few days later. until i got another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment